Northern Ireland dog families have revealed the nastiest things their pets have done, including one puppy who got high on a walk, another who steals all towels on time. the shower and a third who ran away to the pub.
DogsLive wondered what the country’s pets were doing when no one was watching, and the list of dog crimes was astonishing, from consuming magic mushrooms to destroying photos and money – and a weirdly deep disregard for a great Irish chef.
The most dramatic incidents to date have included a visit to the vet to detoxify for Cali the Hungarian mix Vizsla from Co Down whose walkies included food cravings.
Catherine Moore of Newtownards said, “Cali found what must have been magic mushrooms as we were walking through a field.
“She’s normally a very calm dog, but she started acting a little weird, like she was zoned or high, so I took her to the vet. It was a little embarrassing having to take a stoned dog with him. at the vet I was trying to explain one of those awkward moments when I thought my dog was high.
“We thought she must have been interested in magic mushrooms and felt the effects. She was kept under observation but she didn’t do much, just setting there, a slobbery mess, her eyes closed, drooling and enough outside.
“Fortunately, she was fine after her accidental experience. Cali is my best friend, and to be honest, she’s normally a lot calmer. It was a lesson learned, Cali was doing well and vowed to never go near the shrooms again.
But Catherine was not the only dog lover to discover that her best companion had done something stupid.
Interior design : Grace Orbinson said: “My dog ate the walls and door frames of my house, shredded my leather car seats and the gearshift skirt and so much more, but I still love his bones.”
Pests and leaders: Judith Lyons said: “I was on the phone with my parents when one of my cocker spaniel arrived from the garden. I saw a tail hang from his mouth and he started to drop a mouse to the ground. The little creature ran under the sofa. Cue four dogs diving on the furniture before our old terrier decides to shoot the poor mouse. The same Cocker Spaniel developed dementia and started assaulting my Nevin Maguire cookbook. It went on for two weekends in a row before he finally ate the whole book.
Hair knots: Dorothy McCormick revealed, “A dog pulled and pulled my niece’s hair and to our horror ate it. Then after a while, as I called the vet, he threw it up. I asked if my niece wanted to get the pom pom back, but she refused. Another dog was chewing on my retainers and was not at all worried about the new ones costing £ 80. But you know, they’re too cute to be mad at them.
Interior of the car: Briege Morris said: “My dog chewed on the felt of the ceiling of my car when I left it there for 10 minutes to enter a store.”
Rat: Karen Gibson explained, “My dog Miss Becca grabbed a dead rat while we were out for a walk and she didn’t let it go, shook the rat around the place and then slapped my leg with it. We think she was pretty proud of herself. ”
Poop: Dog Friendly Ards & North Down, said: “Our dog ran into a garage the morning of my wedding and pooped on the floor. The owner was obviously not very happy. I cleaned it up. Someone said it was a sign of good luck – and that was over 27 years ago.
Castaway bed: Noelle Robinson said her old rescue dog has developed an interesting way to dry off after a walk. She explained, “After a wet and muddy walk, he ran upstairs, jumped on our bed, squirmed and sniffed, pulled off the blanket and left obvious evidence everywhere that he was. was now dried to his satisfaction. He is much loved and his father says he could destroy the whole house and still get a WonkyChomp.
Turkey : Richard Goberish said: “On a walk on Christmas Day, my lab managed to slip his collar on, walked through an open back door, straight to the open kitchen door, into the kitchen and did a leap towards the turkey that the lady of the house had just taken out of the oven. I think it was his shrill cries that finally stopped him in his tracks. Since then, I have avoided the residential area at the foot of Belfast Castle. It stunned me to realize that even after several dogs and all their shenanigans, Lab’s story is still the most traumatic.
Butter thief : Peter Sullivan said: “Our Rufus Basset Hound ate a whole pound of butter with wrapper. He got very sick and the whole house could smell like rancid butter for a while. He had endless vet checks and in the end he was fine, even though his cholesterol was extremely high for days.
Small misfortunes: Alan Thompson, said: “On our Weimaraner’s first Christmas, Dinah, when there were 20 family members coming, she could easily reach the kitchen countertops. We decided that a protective turkey / ham / pudding muzzle would be prudent. Everything went very well until… we discovered her, up to her eyes, “inhaling” trifles of sherry through her muzzle! We all had a good belly laugh… later!
Teething problems : Anna Biskupska, said: “So far our seven month old golden retriever puppy, Roni, has managed to shred two broadband cables, eat paint on a few walls and started on the table legs . But we love him to the end. ”
Wedding game: Paul Scott: “Franklin disturbed a family by having their wedding photos taken in the park. The cameraman had a stuffed animal to draw the child’s attention to the camera and my Franklin Lab ran and stole it from his hand. I chased him around the park for half an hour trying to get him back. I picked it up, returned it, but they weren’t happy. I felt so embarrassed walking home, but it’s Franklin and my best friend, so of course I forgave him.
smashing: Zoe Watson said, “There are so many naughty activities I could choose from, but this one popped up in my Facebook memories recently – a shattered and jagged photo of my son.”
Chew: Shelley Bass revealed: “Mine chewed on an £ 800 chair, then ate the wallpaper on the wall, followed by a pair of Havaiana flip flops.”
Toxic chews: Julie Reynolds said: ‘My dog managed to destroy three of my mother’s mouthguards which must be well over £ 100 now. She also managed to get her hands on three packets of chewing gum and then had to be rushed to the vet when she began to adjust as there was xylitol in the gum which is toxic to them. dogs. She spent a week at the vet for treatment. Fortunately, she was insured! ”
The endangered sock trick : Emma Millar said, “Mine swallowed two socks. It’s a nightmare, he eats everything he shouldn’t. They weren’t even matching socks. The first time it happened I didn’t know until he got sick, the second time it was too late to reach for the sock and swallow it, so I went to the vet for an injection … and he’s just a little dog but he’s a great character. He also has Pug in him and he’s a cheeky boy, he’s only 11 months old so hopefully he ends up eating everything … well, we can all hope.
Choccies : Valerie Mc Farland: “Mine ate a box full of chocolates last Christmas. I did not give them to him, he unfortunately found them.
Bare ambitions : Libby Porter, said: “My dog would steal all the towels while I showered and take them across the house. I locked her in my room one day to have 10 minutes to shower in peace, but she ripped off the bottom half of the door.
Leave the house : Jacqueline Russell said: “My dog ran away from me and was found in a bar a few hours later. I drove with a nervous breakdown. I’ve never been this close to having a heart attack while having a pint. Typical man.
Money killer : Donna Cole said, “My dog Dexter ate a birthday card with money in it. It wasn’t my birthday card, so it’s okay.
Style: David Waigo said: “Mine destroyed my sunglasses, headphones and shoes £ 370 … and my car key.”
Best Boy: John Hamilton says his dog Forrest can’t do anything wrong and we can see he’s the perfect boy.
Under investigation: But we’re concerned about Mee Clarkies dog antics, because when asked to reveal the nastiest thing her dog had done, she replied, “Sorry, I couldn’t divulge that information.”